Sunday, May 1, 2005

Back Into the Walking...

Went for a decent walk again last night - after a break of about 2 weeks due to general wimpiness and lethargy... we've had a cold snap and I've been flat-out busy (excuses, excuses...)

Went out around 6pm (still twilight) and covered about 8km (9500 steps odd per pedometer)...

...stopped into the local Foodtown supermarket and picked up a vacuum-pack 'brick' of some nice coffee on the way back - Melitta (? -- I'll check) Hazelnut Dream... not half bad (a little reminiscent of an Irish Cream, but "it's a bit nutty!" .... no Austin, not *that* kind of nutty ... [ewww!!] )...

The first section of the walk is maybe a 1-in-30 uphill slope for the first kilometre (~half-mile) or so; I noticed I was breathing 'solidly' - but none of the slightly-panicky breathlesness of the past...

I pushed reasonably hard initially - gradually eased off in the latter stages. The downhill km or so near the end is a welcome relief...

Some pain in the calves and achilles region... this seems to be fading and/or I'm learning to push through it... hard to tell, since I've been a dyed-in-the-wool Couch Potato / Desk Nerd since word go... I still think Sadistic Bastard Phys Ed teachers are a good way to inoculate kids against exercise - an excess of the 'no pain, no gain' mantra in operation...

My feet felt swollen & tender in the soles - this is likely to diminish as I persist, my circulation improves and my weight drops (less load!)...

Listened to a couple of "On the Pod's" on my MP3 player as I went - very enjoyable to walk to - relaxed and chatty, but with a fair amount of info gleaned from the experience... thanks, Cam and Mick!

I'll get a GPS receiver before long, methinks - the cheapest reasonable one I know of is shaped like a mushroom (like those Furuno Radar installations on fishing trawlers)... that'll make an excellent fashion statement sitting on top of my beanie as I stroll, no? :) - and log the actual location of the walk on a map - and calculate some stats... watch this space.

No comments: